February 11, 2011

Cliche But True...

... I left my heart in San Francisco. I miss so many parts of the city, my favorites include:




The Golden Gate Bridge.

It always gave me a rush, a thrill, and pure excitement when I crossed it. The views are always stunning, and breathtaking.





City views.

No matter where you are in the city, you will find a view. In the back of the photo hidden, there is the Bay Bridge (it lights up at night, and it's 3x the length of the Golden Gate Bridge) which passes through Treasure Island.





Coastal views from up in the air.

Enroute from LAX to SFO. Travelled this route extensively for over 2 years to get to work - it never got old.





The skyline of the city by the bay.





Cable cars.

Ding-ding! Though if you're planning a visit this year, note the following closures for repairs.





Proximity to beaches...





... and wine country!






Delicious food.

Hard to find a bad meal in the city. And the vegetables? Always a farmers market to be found, a great city surrounded by local sustainable farming, and the most colorful, fresh produce I've ever enjoyed. BTW, yes, that "allergy to strawberries" is mine. I cry a little every time I see them.





Kabuki Cinema.

Wine and a movie? Yes please!





Beautiful sights. (Presido overlooking the Palace of Fine Arts.)

Even as an iphone pic, they look like movie backdrops...





...and another one.





I'm on a boat ferry!





The view from Sam's in Tiburon.

Arrived fresh off the ferry, planted on the deck overlooking the marina. A perfect place to relax.






Sausalito.

The pot of gold on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge. Cascading homes overlooking the bay, I imagine this is what Greece might look like!





My hairdresser, who believed in my mantra of "I need more blonde in my life!" It only took me two years to find her, and it will take forever to forget her.





Street food trucks. A novelty, considering the variety compared to Toronto's selection of chip (fry) trucks or street meat.

Side story: I believe that hot dog vendors (aka street meat) are illegal in California, but cannot prove it. Basing this on the bizarre hot dog wrapped in bacon incident of '08. It was past midnight in Los Angeles on Hollywood Blvd. Out of nowhere a woman appeared with a tray of hot dogs, and just as quickly as she appeared, she was gone when a cop car passed. Illegal hot dog sales? I'll never know for sure.





Top down car rides, especially across the Golden Gate bridge.

I wish I could pull off the wind blown hair style, but there is nothing pretty about top down wind blown hair. It becomes a rat nest, and makes you cry. True story.



But most importantly, the 2 things I miss most happen to still be in the city (undergoing immigration prep work):



Sven.

My Svenbot who's clearly a starving Marvin, and must smell everything I cook. I'm almost certain that the movie line "He's so fluffy!!!" from Despicable Me, was based on him, he is rather fluffy. He was adopted as a kitten, and is known for his laid back cool and calm demeanor, and his notorious belly rub fake outs. He likes steamed carrots, beef jerky, snuggling under clean sheets, being outdoors (free from us humans), and chilling like a rock star.





and Turkey.

My love bug, turkey nugget, who is missing almost all his teeth, and was rescued from a cat hoarder. Small but mighty, he is known for head-butts, and loves the word "treats". When he hears it or smells a treat opportunity, he can take off faster than a jolt of lightening, leaving a trail of dust behind him to be first in line (ahead of Sven) to collect his goodies. He can be found snuggling up to shoes, tv remotes, luggages, baskets, wallets (to fund his treat addiction) and even bathroom sinks.


(all photos taken by me)

1 comment:

  1. I am going to miss all of these things SO MUCH when we move away from the Bay Area too. You have so many great pictures of the area to remember if by though! I've always wanted to drive over the Golden Gate Bridge in a convertible, but the closest I ever got was with my sunroof open.

    I can't wait to read about your wandering adventures, and hope you get reunited with your fur babies soon!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!