June 26, 2011

Weekend Update

Long gone are the warm sunny days, as they are now replaced with rain and wind. A welcome return, because now it's starting to feel like winter around here, and helping me stop the confusion when I read all about the great summer weather. I start to dream of turquoise and coral colours, sandals and tank tops, picnics and cold beer but then realize it's the opposite here. I read my favourite blogs, all about their summer tips, hair tricks, bright nail polishes, and I think oooh me likey, I want to try! Then I realize I've been wearing a scarf and wool coat for weeks now. My cuticles are dry, beer is too cold I'll have a hot chocolate instead, and why isn't anyone posting about hats and mittens? I need hat and mitten inspiration please!

I'm so glad I created the 30 things in 30 days list, because it encourages me to do something other than cuddle up on the couch after a long day at work. It's helping me ease into the transition of a new place, a new job, and even into the new season. I'm finding things around the city that I would have missed if I stayed in, and it's bringing my creative thoughts out of hiding. The list isn't meant to be difficult, it's easy on purpose because it's full of things I want to do, but that I haven't because of lack of motivation, or getting caught up in work, or a lazy routine.




Quiz night, team Soul, last place

To our credit, we were only a team of four, compared to the average size of 9. We also won a drink voucher because of a random draw on the final results, and last place was drawn as the extra winner. So hardly a loss in my mind. Plus, it was fun to brainstorm with our UK friends on the top Bruce Springsteen songs from 1980-1994. I had doubts that my song contribution, Secret Garden, would fit in the time frame, simply due to the fact that the movie I remembered it from, Jerry Maguire, was released in 1996, and how crappy would it be if I didn't get a point simply because of the time frame. And since it was the 2nd and only other song next to Born in the USA, we needed all the points we could get. Too bad, the song was a 1995 hit, maybe next week I'll make up for it.




You never know where you'll find the next rainbow

In my case, at the carwash. And then it rained that night. Maybe I'll wash the car again this weekend.




Little intimidating pillows of carbs, get in my belleh!

Who knew making gnocchi was easy? 2 potatoes, an egg, 1/2 cup of flour. The result?





Mighty tasty. And thankfully, the pistachios in the pesto sauce covered up the texture of any unmashed potatoes in the gnocchi. Still, an impressive attempt at a very finicky dish.




And equally tasty and easy to make? Homemade granola!

I've always wanted to make it, and thought it would make a nice addition to my neighbours welcome home basket. This is the test batch, well, originally I was going to share half of it, but then I worried this wouldn't last until they come home. So will be making another batch to share.


Have also started Bethenny Frankel's book, A Place of Yes. Not sure what I think so far, but just getting started. And with that, so is the new week. Bring on the rainboots!

7 comments:

  1. The gnocchi and granola look delish! Let us know about Bethanny's book... I've been curious but not quite ready to pull the trigger and order it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A real interesting week you've had there :) I've never tried gnocchi but I may just give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always figured gnocchi was hard to make! Might need to give it a go sometime.

    What did you use to make your granola?

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Amanda
    I googled around for some tasty recipes and whipped together some oats and dried fruit. I used corn syrup and honey melted together with some cinnamon, then tossed the oats and fruits together, then cooked it for 20 mins in the oven, a very yummy breakfast for the week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kim Thanks, it was super delicious! Will let you know about the book, I'm finding that it's more of a therapeutic thing for her to write rather than something aimed at helping me. Only in chapter 4 thought :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, gnocchi! I've always wanted to try making it, but thought it would be too hard.

    And as far as mitten and scarf inspiration, you might just have to start reading blogs from the other hemisphere, or make them yourself! Or maybe that's what you've been learning to knit?

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Morgan trying to knit a scarf, but it's really not working out! at this point I might hang one piece of string over my shoulder and call it a day!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!