July 17, 2011

Wandering Around: Wellington Harbor

With a picnic packed, camera in tow, and flat white coffees in hand, we decided to venture across to the other side of the Wellington harbour.





Just a short 30 minute drive along one of only two motorways in town (see the '1' and how it splits in to two? Take that Car-megeddon in LA!) We were heading to Days Bay, and as you can see from the map, it's very curvy!

But no one mentioned the lack of guard rails...



Or the fact that the water level is on par with the road!!

Suddenly dreams of picnicing seemed a bit to "adventurous" for me. Thankfully? The public access road ended. Without a permit to drive further lifejackets, we turned around, bracing the curves and literally the edge of the road.





But looking back, while a bit freaky, it was, as always, beautiful.





But then we settled for a picnic at home. A dandy way to picnic if you ask me.

photo (6)


I still can't believe we braved the curves and water! Have you ever driven along something as crazy as this? Would you?

6 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I don't think I saw that area whilst I was in Wellington. I'd be a bit scared. I've had similar experiences in India and Australia, but instead of water, there were massive (cliff)drops! We were supposed to go on a picnic on Sunday but our plans fell through...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That is one crazy drive. It's beautiful but I would def be scared!


    thank you for your sweet comment on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love tim tams. love them. once at a whole sleeve in one sitting. mmmmmm.... i want to be invited on your next picnic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Fiji Hope you have found time for another picnic! They make for a lovely afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @leahfrankiewiczI don't judge those who can eat them in one sitting, in fact, I consider those types of people to be amazing... if I say so myself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh i have never seen an area like this with no guardrails!!!! i hope people don't drink and drive there LOL! :) j/k it is gorgeous though! some of the drives in norway are crazy like that too! ill have to take some photos! i basically close my eyes when andre is driving them and i just pray we stay alive! LOL!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!