September 19, 2011

A 1930's date in 2011

This weekend, we attended our first dress-up theme party. We even hit up many of the costumes stores in Wellington to get our look just right! Who knew a little city could have so many costume stores?! It was so much fun digging around in aisle after aisle of costumes.

The theme was 1930's royal opera, so with a little imagination, internet stalking inspiration, and a whole lot of hairspray, we were ready to go.




We searched high and low for some medals, don't let them fool you. While we didn't get a close-up, I can attest that Kev's highest ranking medal was indeed a gold Mr. T's plastic one hanging on some pretty regal ribbon. Go A Team!

I loved how the 30's dresses were so flowy with simple draping that looked exquisite. Though I wasn't a fan of the unforgiving material this one was made of... somehow my belly button was visible! It's an innie! Ah, thankfully in the 30's, a little cover up was used....





With some thick eyeliner, pink cheeks, and a side chignon I was ready to go. (I pass on lipstick, just not my thing even though it was a sure staple in the look, I hope I managed to pull it off!)

We spent the evening drinking *bubbles, dancing to 80's music, eating finger food, walking across town and finding ourselves cosied up in a small above store bar sipping old smokies (a smooth scotch) with new friends.

*Kiwis don't mess around with sparkling wine/champagne - they just say bubbles!

And that's how two 1970's kids pulled off the 30's in 2011.

10 comments:

  1. You look amazing! I love your entire look and would totally wear that today to a on-30s event ;) I love your wrap and just purchased a vintage fur from etsy that I hope arrives soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you look gorgeous! That dress is fabulous, and I love that K was wearing a Mr. T medal :)

    Sounds like such a fun party. Any excuse to dress up in costume is a plus in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys did such a great job with your costumes! I would have loved to have attended that party!

    PS I call it "bubbly" ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love "fancy dress" parties! You guys did a great job with your costumes, and you look fabulous without the lipstick ;-) Sounds like a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Kim Thanks Kim! Can't wait to see you in your fabulous fur find!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Morgan It was a blast! The medals cracked me up :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia Thanks Vanisha, I forget, were you born in NZ? Love that you call it bubbles :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Jenny @ Practically Perfect... Thanks Jenny, the costume shop did most of the work, but we felt fabulous, and had an amazing time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! Love rhe 30's! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. how fabulous! you look so pretty!!!! i love theme parties and dates!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!