September 11, 2011

When in Rome

New Zealand is hosting the World Rugby Cup, and as any good sports fan, time to get behind the All Blacks and support them! And the city? Well, they are ready to go:

photo (2)
Sign posting in the CBD (central business district) of Wellington



photo (3)
Not the Wellywood sign (thankfully) but a temporary, fun sign



And a really cool experience on Friday at noon, my first flash mob!
The haka was performed in front of hundreds, in the CDB of Wellington. While the Haka is a traditional war dance, it has been adopted by the New Zealand Rugby Union and performed at all games. A few months ago in one of my past temping environments, we performed the haka as part of a welcoming ceremony, and not knowing what was going on, it scared the crap out of me! Now I know better, and love the excitement it brings to people.


World Cup Haka Flash Mob from WanderInDelight on Vimeo.

Haka flash mob during a red light


Game on! Now if only I knew how Rugby was played...

4 comments:

  1. I love watching the Haka, the Fiji team do something similar called the Cibi. It also looks like NZ is putting out great weather for the boys as well! 17 degrees at Invercargill!

    PS Don't worry I still don't understand the game fully, and I grew up surrounded by it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I'm not a sports fan, but sometimes the energy is so contagious, you can;t help but jump on the bandwagon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life in...Fiji

    I'll have to look up the Cibi, I'm amazed by these things! Yes, the weather has been great, and then it hailed today, ha! I'm looking forward to attending a game to learn :) Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @KimI love being at the game, then I don't feel like a fake, and I have so much pride from all the cities I've lived in! It's a fun contagious feeling, I'm still on a SF Giants high from the World Series!!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!