January 21, 2012

Confession: I'm buying clothes from overseas

The cost of clothes in New Zealand are very expensive for what, in my opinion, you get. Plus everyone else in town is sporting the exact same item, it's one of the very few downsides to living in a small city. I try to shop all types of stores, sales, online using promos but all my efforts still result in spending $100 for a polyester long sleeve top, or $300 for man-made leather shoes. I try to tell myself the cost of clothes includes tax, and all the shipping/duty/small country fees but I either leave the store frustrated, or purchase something that I feel guilty buying. And when it's your money and a wardrobe you're trying to build, neither are satisfying feelings.

My work wardrobe is very small since I used to work from home, only needing professional attire when attending an event. Since I gave most items away and lost some weight, I figured I'd buy clothes once we moved, but I'm still in sticker shock. Plus the weather is different here, and aside from dressing in layers, it's also very windy, and usually chilly.

Well enough complaining, I enjoyed my online shopping spree. While I'm still limited to stores that ship internationally/will accept a New Zealand billing address, I did get my hands on some Target (it's been way too long Tarjay), Lands End (good quality with excellent sales), and Victoria Secret (hello semi-annual sale) items. I snagged some discounts, and with the conversion and shipping, I'm still saving!

Here's a little preview of some new finds:


Merona at ShopStyle
Mossimo at ShopStyle
Lands' End Canvas at ShopStyle
Lands' End Canvas at ShopStyle
Lands' End Canvas at ShopStyle
Lands' End Canvas at ShopStyle



Now hoping the items fit, as returning them will not be worth it!

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm sorry :-( I have the benefit of having my work-wear provided (hello, scrubs - one of the perks of being a nurse).

    That being said, I can see why you'd shop in the States and have it sent over here. Even after getting used to the prices over here, I still find that I like the US style of clothes a bit more. I love your choices!

    ReplyDelete
  2. New Zealand is such an expensive place to buy clothes! I enjoy shopping online too, I usually loathe going to stores. Have you found any nice vintage stores? They might have some nice pieces. In Dunedin I refuse to go anywhere expect vintage stores.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute clothes! I would have broken down long ago and bought clothes online if I were you . . . I can't survive without a shopping fix, but am unwilling to shell out lots of $ for sub-par clothing. I'm hoping your new duds get to you quickly so that you can start enjoying them :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never bought clothes from overseas. I'm such a difficult size to fit that I just know I would have to send something back. Then, I would be sad.

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the clothes! Same story here...I only get stuff at Zara and H&M.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!