January 21, 2012

Wandering Around: Christmas holidays on the South Island

We planned an eight day camping getaway to the South Island. We flew to Queenstown to pick up our campervan and we knew eight days later we'd fly out of Christchurch... that was the extent of our planning. I've really tried to let go of my must-plan-now moments and enjoy the journey... though it does send me into some anxiety stressed moments. But once I realise we'll find our way regardless, I can let go.

Here's our route:
Screen shot 2012-01-21 at 10.10.24 PM

As we've learned in New Zealand, there's no shortage of beautiful views, and most certainly, there are no boring roads. We spent our days driving from one camp site to the next, picking up groceries along the way and running into the beauty of New Zealand. We didn't have to go very far to find our next stop, and many a times we just pulled over on the road to sit and take in the view.

As we drove out to Wanaka, we passed a bungee jump (which I'm certain has THE most gorgeous coloured water) and next thing you know, Kev was in line to jump. I thought the most adventurous activity I'd get into was taking a Gondola up the mountain in Queenstown. Somehow Kev talked me into taking the luge back down, and the next day he had me attached to a wire, zipping among the tree tops. And next thing you know, I'm signing up for a helicopter ride.

Hands down a thrilling trip. I could tell you all about the bickering passionate discussions we had over driving the campervan, cooking in the middle of nowhere, or trying to set up a table that had no instructions... instead I'll leave you with evidence that New Zealand truly is a stunning country. I'm blessed and lucky to call this home.

Stopping on the side of the road, enroute to Glenorchy

Queenstown



Stopping on the side of the road, enroute to Glenorchy



Skyline Gondola and luge in Queenstown

From the side of the road, from Queenstown to Wanaka







You fly by so fast, that was the bravest pose I could handle



















Bungee Jumping...





Moke Lake, Queenstown

9 comments:

  1. Oh my - gorgeous! I really, really want to go down there, but it looks like Chris won't be able to till April... and I'm afraid the whether would be all mucky then :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures make me homesick!! New Zealand really is the most beautiful amazing wonderous country - and it looks like you saw it at its best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am seriously blown away by your photos! I'm your newest follower :) Found you via Megan @ A Suitcase and Stilettos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How gorgeous is Arrowtown?! Sounds like you had quite the wander :) Like you, I am constantly captivated by New Zealand. Such a beautiful country <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Alex Butts Thanks for stopping by Alex and your kind words! Love me some Megan and her blog :) glad you're here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Leah I think the same when I see your pics Leah! And I loved how much the South Island reminded me of Canada, so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Jenny @ Practically Perfect... Too far away April but I bet it would look lovely all snow dusted. But I've heard the roads are pretty rough since for environmental reasons they don't sand/salt the roads. It was stunning to see but it's always there and if you can go next summer Joe will be older to hopefully enjoy more of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Vanisha @ Vanisha's Life In...Australia You know it! And how yummy the Arrowtown bakery was, mmm mmm mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! I went to Queenstown/Wanaka for the first time this summer as well. I really need to get out to the west coast as well though your pictures are amazing!

    ReplyDelete

So glad you wandered by!